1. Contact the Kansas City Regional Center (Department of Mental Health) at (816) 889-3400 to request an intake appointment.
  2. Request to be put on the Kansas City Regional Center's List for Placement.
  3. Meet your KCRC Service Coordinator and request a list of providers in your area. Explore funding needs through Medicaid Waiver funding, purchase of service funding, family directed support funding and private pay. If you are not eligible for funding through the Department of Mental Health, you may call the Division of Aging at (816) 380-3597.
  4. Contact agencies from the list of providers and request a tour. Meet with staff at the programs, review your support and programming needs with the providers. Read How to Choose a Provider to help you with your decision.
  5. Research Transportation possibilities in your area like Jackson County Division of Transportation and Share a Fare Cab service.
  6. Select a provider and request services. 

Visit the Metropolitan Council on Developmental Disabilities web page for more information on this process.

Social Security Benefit Information









Supplemental Social Security Benefits & Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

















Other Resources






Web Privacy








What can I get?
A child (any age) of a retired or disabled parent may quality for social security benefits.
A child may also be eligible for survivor benefits following the death of a parent on the parent's Social Security Record.

How do I get it?
Your Kansas City Regional Center Service Coordinator can help you file for disability benefits at any Social Security Office. You may file by mail or by visiting the nearest office.

Supplemental Social Security Benefits & Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

What can I get?
Persons with a disability as defined by the Social Security Administration can qualify for SSI.

If you receive SSI, you may qualify for special services from the state including: counseling, job training and help finding work.

People who get SSI can usually qualify for food stamps too. Food stamps help you buy food for your home.

People who get SSI can usually get Medicaid Assistance too. Medicaid helps you pay for medical bills.

How do I get it?
Whether you can get SSI depends on what you own and how much income you have.

Your Kansas City Regional Service Coordinator can help you apply for SSI benefits. You may file by phone, mail or by visiting the nearest office.

Call Social Security at:
Toll free: 1(800)772-1213
TTY: 1(800)325-0778
Visit the Social Security web site at: www.ssa.gov
Or Call your KCRC Service Coordinator at: (816) 889-3400

Missouri Department of Mental Health

Missouri Association of Rehabilitation Facilities

Developmental Disability Services of Jackson County - Eitas


Metropolitan Council on Developmental Disabilities
Web Privacy
Developing Potential, Inc. respects the privacy of visitors to its Website. We strongly believe that if electronic commerce and online activities are to flourish, consumers must be assured that information provided online is used responsibly and appropriately. To protect online privacy, the organization has implemented the following policy.

About the Information We Collect - Most of the data and information we collect through our Website is used only to help us achieve our mission. It is our policy to collect and store only personal information that our clients knowingly provide.
From Casual Website Visitors and General Users. We do not collect any personal information from users browsing our Website. When you use the public areas of our Website you are doing so anonymously. We do collect aggregate use information, such as the number of hits (visits) per page. We use aggregate data for internal and marketing purposes, but we don't collect any personally identifying information.
How We Use Cookies - Cookies are small text files that are sent to your computer when you logon to a Website that allow us to identify you when you return to the site. Developing Potential, Inc. uses cookies only to support the operations of our shopping cart. We do not use cookies to track your usage or any other personal information about you.